This may be one of the most difficult times of the year to eat healthy. It’s constantly snowing, the sun rarely shines, and you probably haven’t gotten any fresh air in weeks. What’s better than warm bowls of pasta, steaming cups of chili, and creamy crocks of soups to keep us snug and toasty? In addition, instead of burning calories outdoors, we head to restaurants to avoid winter isolation. It doesn’t take a genius to see how easily the scales can tip the wrong way during the winter months. However, you can still enjoy your favorite comfort foods and meals out if you follow my trusted portion control tips.
1. Start your meals off right: Studies have shown that filling up on high-fiber and low-calorie broth-based soups or salads (without high-calorie dressings) can help you to eat less at meals and reduce your total calorie intake. Or, try eating the vegetables on your plate first.
4. Don’t get over-hungry: This is my Number 1 rule for healthy eating! If you get to the starving point, you’ll never be able to eat sensibly and control your portions. Snack healthfully throughout the day and keep the hunger beast at bay.
5. Get to know your visual cues: There’s no way around it…you need to know the recommended portion sizes for common foods. Memorize these visuals so you’ll always know the proper portions!
- 3 oz meat: deck of cards
- 2 tbsp peanut butter: a golf ball or a ping-pong ball
- a baked potato: a computer mouse
- 1/2 cup cooked pasta: an ice cream scoop
- 4 oz fish: a checkbook
- a bagel: a hockey puck
- 1 oz nuts: a handful
- 1 oz cheese: 2 dominos
- 1 tsp oil: tip of thumb
Blakely FIT is offering $50 off new client assessments courtesy of Sandy Sfikas, RD until March 15th. Receive the support you deserve and customized workout plan that can make all the difference. Just mention “Sandy” at time of scheduling.
Owner Michelle Blakely is an NSCA certified personal trainer, USA Weightlifting Sports Performance Coach and Healthy Moms Perinatal Fitness course attendee. Blakely FIT offers outstanding personal training exclusively for women. Operating out of an independent training studio in River North, clients are treated the highest level of professionalism, exceptional program design and one on one attention.
“I have been working with Michelle for almost a year. It has been the best investment I have ever made and have never felt better about myself. Her approach was helpful to me as a beginner and continues to be so as I have moved to an advanced stage. I am ecstatic with my results as I never imagined my body could get into this great shape.
Michelle is patient, encouraging, and thorough… Michelle is simply the BEST!!” DB
Call or email to schedule your appointment. I’d be delighted to help you find your success.
Kind Regards, Michelle